8.07.2009

July in the blink of an eye


Take a peek at some of the fun I had in July, in addition to playing another round of golf; treating myself to a pedicure; replacing my beloved Treo with an HTC Touch Pro (I love it!); admiring a fawn, a rainbow and a gorgeous sunrise (on different days); eating curry as often as I could; and celebrating a close friend's birthday.
  • I spent an afternoon hanging out with my family and delving into my maternal grandmother's 1939 high school yearbook. Grandma Doris died before I was born, but I can't deny the connection I feel with her. She was short, feisty and swore her dyed red hair was natural. (I swear my strawberry-blonde hair is. Honest!) I loved this "2 big 2 be 4forgotten" note I spotted on one of her pages. I guess high school students were about as clever then as they were 58 years later when my classmates wrote similar notes in my high school yearbook. It made me smile:

Other images from that day of Grandma Doris' relatives:

Mom & Kaden


Baby Kaden with Auntie Amanda & Uncle Kurtis, who were in town for a visit

Amanda, Kurtis, Dad & Brian getting some laughs out of the Bobby Knight Golf Outtakes video on YouTube. (Check it out. Funny stuff.)

  • I met Molly, my parents-in-law's new cocker spaniel puppy. Isn't she adorable?
Molly, Brian & Lilly

  • I saw my friend Jackie Clark's presentation at quilt guild. She's a kick-ass local fabric and pattern designer who is funny, sweet and inspirational. And she & her sister remind me so much of how Amanda & I are together that it's just freaky.

  • I traveled to Los Angeles for a Knight Digital Media Center working conference about journalism and social networks. It was an absolutely fabulous trip -- except that I was without my luggage for 82 hours, thanks to U.S. Airways, which was less than impressive with its customer service through the unpleasant ordeal. (I've never been so happy to see a suitcase.) Nonetheless, I met some great people, learned some amazing things and enjoyed my getaway.

I stayed in the impressive Westin Bonaventure in downtown L.A. The hotel has set the backdrop for lots of movies. For example, I rode in a glass elevator featured on "True Lies." (Kind of fun and random in a Hollywood sort of way.) My 16th-story room had a fantastic view of L.A. skyscrapers. Take for instance this urban sunrise:


Without my suitcase, I did feel as if I was camping in a four-star hotel, but my desserts -- if not my personal possessions at hand -- were very Hollywood:


Now time, I'm sure, for another crazy month. Let's call it August rush.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails