8.27.2008

At least the evening was great

"The Great Man" by Kate Christensen, my book club's August read, was definitely not a favorite of mine. (I confess that my bookmark is currently resting on page 103 of the 301-page novel.) I intend to finish it, though, partly because I want to give it another chance and partly because I want to get to the Dirty Little Secret and bantering that other readers said they liked about the book.






I found the writing to be a bit presumptuous, although the book spurred lots of fun conversation at book club tonight, including discussion about bad dads, bridezillas (disclaimer: not Amanda!), parents in love with people half their age and more. Plus, Denise & I performed an enthusiastic demonstration of the chicken dance for our group. (Thanks to Kathryn, there's already evidence of that one online ... )

We dined on yummy cucumber sandwiches, among other things, and were entertained by Kathryn's pups. Next up: "My Antonia" by Willa Cather.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails