12.19.2007

Read in heavenly peace

Bonnie hosted our book club's Christmas meeting, which included delicious dinner and dessert and a discussion of "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. Many members didn't appreciate the beauty of the book. I loved that the book spoke to the "life is a journey, not a destination" perspective. I shared with the group my personal goal of enjoying each day and not wishing away my life looking forward to Friday nights. Each day is a gift.

Afterwards, we had a spirited dirty Santa book exchange. We each bring a book we like from our own personal collection (but one our club hasn't yet read). We draw numbers. And then, starting with No. 1, each member chooses a wrapped package and opens a book. No. 2 can steal No. 1's book or open a new one (and on and on). I was quite pleased that my copy of "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle was stolen again and again by Carrie R. and Peggy. Fellow blogger Chris ended up taking it home. (Hope you enjoy it!) I bought it used for my college children's lit class, and I marked my favorite passages in the book. The fantasy is a great read.

I'm also looking forward to reading the book I brought home, "Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife" by Mary Roach. Our book club read her previous book, "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers." I found it to be strangely interesting and insightful.






First, though, I'll finish my more festive book of choice, "The Christmas Pearl" by Dorothea Benton Frank. I try to read a Christmas book every December. A couple of years ago, for example, I enjoyed "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham. If you haven't yet seen the movie "Christmas with the Kranks," read the book first. It's cheesy and silly and has a very sweet ending.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails