More good news to report on day 9 in the ICU: Mom fought off a fever today and initiated breathing for about 12 hours. She also had a test done today, but we must wait until tomorrow to hear the result. We have been telling her something she used to tell my sisters and me as we marched off to school: "Good luck on tests and junk like that!"
I am amazed by how strong she is. She is constantly poked and prodded by doctors and nurses, who must check her insulin levels, give breathing treatments, administer pain medication and more. When we're with her, we talk her through every step and hope that she can hear us on some level.
Before Mom was sedated on Sunday, I had asked her what I could bring her from home to make her stay more comfortable. She was unable to speak because of her breathing tube, but she wrote down "May" on a piece of paper. I knew that she wanted her copy of the wonderful book "Life With Mae," which I gave her for Mother's Day just a few weeks ago. I have been reading a few pages to her at a time and hope that it eases her mind.
Fan mail (get well soon cards) are pouring in. We have many on display in her ICU room. I read those to her, as well. The doctors believe that her hearing the voices of those closest to her will help her through this, so I appreciate the encouraging reading material!
(I love the photo of Mom that I've included in this post. I took it in February at a bridal boutique. Mom, Jen, Amanda, her future mother- and sister-in-law and I engaged in a day of dresses. In this photo, Mom is admiring my baby sis in her drop-dead gorgeous gown.)
No comments:
Post a Comment