With a romantic dinner date night planned, Brian and I snagged some Valentine's cupcakes for his parents as a thank-you for watching Westley. But we were the ones in for the real treat.
We headed south to nearby Mulvane to dine at the much-acclaimed Italian restaurant Luciano's. I've wanted to go for ages, and I wasn't disappointed. The place has attracted my friends and stars alike (including food queen Paula Deen).

The quaint restaurant is unassuming and simple but packs a delicious punch. Here's what I ate for my five-course meal:
Course 1, antipasti (appetizers): Calamari al Vino Bianco (sliced calamari sauteed with garlic and white wine)Course 2, insalate (salads): Insalata Mediterranea (three different lettuces mixed with black olive, spring onion, Parmesan cheese, cherry tomato, cucumber and pine nuts served in a Parmesan cheese bowl)
Course 3, pasta: Fettuccine con Gamberetti (shrimp sauteed with fresh tomato, herbs and spices)
Course 4, secondi (entrees): Pesce di Luciano (tilapia braised in white wine with fresh vegetables, herbs and spices)
Course 5, dessert: Tiramisu
If you go, and you should, heed a few pieces of advice:
- Make a reservation. Good luck getting in if you don't. We made ours for 8 p.m. It was the perfect time. We arrived when the restaurant was packed, a fun experience. But by the time our meal really was under way, we shared our waiter with only one other table, allowing for exceptional service. Two hours later, we were among the last to leave.
- Spring for the five-course experience, and indulge in a bottle of chianti. (We chose Castello di Bossi, which I rated four out of five stars and would recommend.)
- Do yourself a favor: Share the appetizer, and order a half order of pasta. Both courses are so delicious that you'll want to eat everything they put in front of you. But then you'll never have room for the decadent dessert.
- Order a dessert. If you're a fool and do not, please do not tell me. I'll consider you utterly stupid and will disown you as a friend. Be sure to order your own dessert. Trade bites but do not share. I repeat, do not share. Yes, you'll be consuming a sinful amount of calories. C'mon, though. Live a little, will ya?!
- Plan all of your courses before you get started. Brian had wished that he'd only ordered one course with rich, filling cream sauce. The good news? Now we'll know for next time. And there will be a next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment