10.27.2008

Drinking it up

Maybe it's because it's approaching Halloween. Maybe it's because I'm enjoying my break away from more serious literature that actually puts my English degree to good use. But I can't get enough of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. I didn't go to my book club's October meeting, but our read was the first book in the series, which I read on vacation. I've finished book No. 2 and am going to start on book No. 3 tonight.

The teen vampire romance novels are nothing genius. They aren't classic children's literature like works by Lois Lowry, a favorite author of mine. (I'd especially recommend her book "Gossamer.") The series thus far, especially considering that they're best-sellers, have far too many grammatical errors. When I was finishing "New Moon" last night, for example, I actually found an instance of "neither ... or" instead of "neither ... nor." It was like nails on a chalkboard. But the reads are quick, fun and compelling. Plus I kind of like reading about vampires, werewolves and battles of good and evil in October. Consider it my little treat that really does the trick.

4 comments:

Kennedy said...

They really do suck you in. Are you going to see the Twilight movie? It comes out in Nov. I think it comes out Thanksgiving weekend. I am trying to convince Evan. D&D will be here, so maybe Denise will go with me!

chitknit said...

High school students are crazy for these books right now. One of my newspaper staffers is proposing a doubletruck for our next issue about it, since the movie opens soon.

Linda said...

I enjoyed the books too. You'll have to update and let us know what you think at the end of the series. I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the last book.

Chris said...

Hi Lori! I have just started reading the second book, "New Moon". I have to admit, even though the writing is not great I am really intrigued by the story. We'll compare notes sometime.

Related Posts with Thumbnails