10.16.2010

Little reads pack a big punch

Especially after taking a children's literature course for my English degree at KU, I've been a big fan of books for young adults. Lois Lowry and Madeleine L'Engle, two authors I studied in that class, are among my favorites. But I've never read more children's books than I have in the last six months or so. (Yes, I started to read to Westley before he was born. It was a magical bonding experience.) I should've known the pregnancy hormones would send me over the edge with some of the sweet, sweet storybooks we have. A few of my new favorite tearjerkers, with the excerpts that make me misty-eyed just typing them and photos that make the stories all the more meaningful:


"God Gave Us You" by Lisa Tawn Bergren, illustrated by Laura J. Bryant

'When we found out you were growing inside me, we were so happy! Even the angels were celebrating for us!'

'Because of me?' asked Little Cub.

'Yes, my darling child. Because God gave us you!'




Westley, at 20 weeks in utero

* * *

"Always" by Alison McGhee and Pascal Lemaitre

I am the keeper of the castle.

This castle ...

I will keep the castle safe.
Always.

Why, you ask?

... Because you live here.

"Doggy Dakota" & Westley, August 2010

* * *

"The Most Thankful Thing" by Lisa McCourt

'Just when I thought I couldn't be any happier, I held you for the first time. I felt your soft, sweet breath on my skin and your warm, tiny body against mine.

'And then I knew that nothing could ever be better, and that forevermore you would be my most thankful thing.'

'Forevermore, Mama?'

'Forevermore.'


Brian snapped this photo of Westley and me, napping together in the hospital after he was born.

2 comments:

Kennedy said...

Great pic of Westley with Dakota.

Lori said...

Thanks! It'll be fun to photograph them together as Westley continues to grow. We're betting, by the way, that West's first word will be "doggy."

Related Posts with Thumbnails