My cousin Evan's wife Kennedy wrote a lovely post about living in Wyoming on her blog. I could not echo her sentiments more. Since imitation is the best form of flattery, I had to post my own Kansas version of what she said.
My family moved to Kansas when I was 12. Illinois residents at the time, my sisters and I cried at the kitchen table when Mom and Dad told us we were moving to Wichita ... and the tears weren't prompted only by the fact that we were leaving.
I attended college in Kansas with plans to move on to bigger and better places. I had internships in Missouri, North Carolina and Minnesota. After getting married and starting our first jobs in Kansas (after considering starting out as newlyweds in South Carolina or Oregon), Brian and I have tried to leave. (Big secret: We've each had job interviews for positions that would've moved us out of state. But, when push came to shove, the grass seemed greener here.)
Just like Kennedy wrote, I often have moments when I think to myself in partial disgust and embarrassment, "I live in Kansas." But, to quote her eloquent words, "sometimes when I think about living here, my heart is so full I can hardly stand it."
A few pictoral reasons why:
Brian & Westley, Assaria, July 2010
Lilly in a rural Kansas field, July 2009
South-Central Kansas field, May 2009
Toronto Lake, July 2008
My family moved to Kansas when I was 12. Illinois residents at the time, my sisters and I cried at the kitchen table when Mom and Dad told us we were moving to Wichita ... and the tears weren't prompted only by the fact that we were leaving.
I attended college in Kansas with plans to move on to bigger and better places. I had internships in Missouri, North Carolina and Minnesota. After getting married and starting our first jobs in Kansas (after considering starting out as newlyweds in South Carolina or Oregon), Brian and I have tried to leave. (Big secret: We've each had job interviews for positions that would've moved us out of state. But, when push came to shove, the grass seemed greener here.)
Just like Kennedy wrote, I often have moments when I think to myself in partial disgust and embarrassment, "I live in Kansas." But, to quote her eloquent words, "sometimes when I think about living here, my heart is so full I can hardly stand it."
A few pictoral reasons why:
2 comments:
Great pictures! I'm glad you had a post of your own to share.
Thanks, Kennedy!
Post a Comment