11.14.2010

Falling in love with reading

Earlier this week, I attended a free seminar on early childhood literacy at Heartspring. I learned so much about reading to young children of different ages, and it inspired me with ideas on how to further share my love of reading with Westley. I left with lots of reading suggestions, too, and a free copy of Dr. Seuss's "The Foot Book."

I've received so many ideas on good books for children that I've started a wish list on Amazon.com to keep track of them. I'm hoping that'll prove helpful for Santa this year and in the future.

Speaking of buying books, I'm intrigued by the website Thriftbooks.com, which I learned about recently from a friend. I have mixed feelings about buying books online because I believe that it's important to support bookstores, especially local ones. That's why I try to spread my book money around a bit, shopping regularly at everywhere from Borders (be sure to sign up to receive coupons via e-mail!) to Book-a-Holic and Watermark Books & Cafe (be sure to sign up for their e-mail newsletter!).

Watermark actually is where I bought Westley a charming new fall book, "Hooray for Fall!" by Kazuo Iwamura.











And my mother-in-law gave Westley a copy of this seasonal read: "Duck & Goose Find a Pumpkin" by Tad Hills. It's a board book that West really has been enjoying.










Brian and I have been listening to the audio book of David Sedaris' "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk." It's a weird one. Enjoyable, but a little odd and gory.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Lori, my kids ended up having the same kindergarten teacher many years ago. When she commended us on having smart kids (when the twins were in kindergarten) she told me that reading to them was the single best thing I ever did for them. I've been a voracious reader all my life, and reading books to my kids was just what I did, every night at bedtime! We were lucky to have gifted children all through school, and they are succeeding at college. So definitely share your love of reading with Westley! Not only is it good for him, but it's something you will remember all your life!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails