11.08.2009

Baby books, baby names, baby class & more

I haven't blogged about what I've been reading because those books would've given away my secret. Here are the paperbacks that have been taking up my time in the last several weeks:

Laura Wattenberg's "The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Guide to Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby" may just be the favorite of my baby books so far. Brian and I have spent hours looking through it together and talking about the pros and cons of different names.

We have decided to wait until we meet our little one in May to find out if our firstborn is a boy or girl. And, with the help of this book, we have a first and middle name picked out already for either gender. We love both names and have vowed to keep those a secret. (Although we do, of course, reserve the right to change our mind on our baby's birthday!)


Dr. Stuart Campbell's "Your Pregnancy Day by Day: Watch Your Baby Grow as You Enjoy a Healthy Pregnancy" is definitely another favorite of mine. Each day, it offers a short summary of how our baby is developing. Brian & I read each day's installment together while we eat breakfast.

Over omelets this morning, for example, we read about Day 99: "More bone is deposited on your baby's skeleton, making it easier for him to bend his arms at the wrist and elbow. He can make varied movements with his hands."

What a miracle. And what a fabulous way to start each day: in awe and thanksgiving.


I gave a copy of Heidi Murkoff & Sharon Mazel's "What to Expect When You're Expecting" to my sister Jen last year when she was pregnant with my nephew Kaden. Now it's on loan to me. What goes around, comes around.









Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin's "Skinny Bitch" books have made me think very carefully about what I've been eating during my pregnancy. I haven't embraced all of the vegan suggestions they emphasize, but I have switched to soy milk and try to altogether avoid high fructose corn syrup, which is difficult because it's in so many things that we eat and drink. (Disgusting!) Their writing is pretty hilarious -- if not over-the-top. And I love the recipe for potato-pumpkin curry. (Holy yum!)


Brian, also an avid reader, has jumped into the new book genre. (You can't tell we're excited, can you?) His current read is "She's Having a Baby -- and I'm Having a Breakdown: What Every Man Needs to Know -- and Do -- When the Woman He Loves Is Pregnant" by James Douglas Barron. He certainly isn't having a breakdown, but he is enjoying having his own "Daddy book" to read. And I sure won't complain. Several weeks ago, Brian brought home a gorgeous crimson and gold mum plant for me and explained that his "Daddy book" suggested one should buy flowers for your expecting wife. Yep. I've been a fan of this book ever since!

In the past week, Brian & I have expanded our baby education by taking the "Off to a Good Start" early pregnancy class at Wesley BirthCare Center. It was a good experience that gave us more to talk about, think about and anticipate.

Any other pregnancy or parenting books I should check out?

2 comments:

Chris said...

Congratulations Lori and Brian! I am so excited for you and I'm thrilled you're waiting until the big day to find out whether it's a boy or a girl. That makes it more suspenseful for everybody!

Jenn said...

It sounds like you have some great books picked out! When you get closer to the end of your pregnancy and it is time to read baby books instead of pregnancy books: I loved "The Happiest Baby on the Block" and the Dr. Sears baby book. (If you go to La Leche League you will hear about Sears!)

Speaking of LLL... you have a wonderful group out west right by you, they were a SO helpful when Lauren was a baby. I started going when I was about 5-6 months pregnant and always learned a lot. Didn't know if you had considered that yet but you can visit anytime if you are interested!

Related Posts with Thumbnails