11.16.2009

Football finale

In the past two years, Brian & I have spent a weekend in Lawrence & Kansas City watching the Jayhawks & Chiefs each play a football game at home. (Check out my blog posts from 2007 & 2008.)

This year, we had a special tailgate planned at the Chiefs vs. Giants game at Arrowhead, and the Jayhawks happened to have a bye week that weekend. So, we split our annual football road trip into two weekends. Brian & I headed to Lawrence Saturday to watch the Jayhawks play the Cornhuskers. We were able to wave the wheat, shiver in perfectly brisk football weather and admire the campus of our alma mater. Yes, it's no fun that Nebraska won, but we had a blast nonetheless:



Brian's parents were very generous to share their tickets with us. We met up with them for lunch at The Salty Iguana and then also joined up with Brian's brother Eric for the game. Afterwards, we all headed to Legends, where we had an indulgent dinner at the Yard House. (I'd highly recommend it. My meal was fabulous: New Zealand lamb chops with shiitake mushrooms, corn risotto cakes and balsamic glaze. Yum!)

On Sunday, Brian & I shopped for baby furniture (we've already picked out an adorable set!) and spent some time at the K.C. Country Club Plaza. We had lunch at California Pizza Kitchen on the Plaza and had a romantic time on the chilly, rainy day. Several of the shops were playing Christmas music, and it finally seems appropriate. (When he & I bought our Halloween candy at Target in late October, the store was playing Christmas music. It didn't seem as festive then.)

With a little one on the way, we're not sure we'll be able to observe our annual football road trip tradition next year. It's one of the many tiny insignificant sacrifices that we are more than happy to make to welcome a baby into our family. But, for now, we're relishing opportunities to enjoy little "babymoons" like this one.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

How nice!! We enjoyed the game from home (well, I was in class but I sat on the back row so the teacher couldn't see me watching on yahoo!) but my folks were there and they had a great time too! Glad you are having fun babymoons! But you never know, you might love taking a tiny baby to football games, it's a great place to show them off and those little cheerleader or football uniforms are sooooo cute.

Related Posts with Thumbnails