11.18.2009

Patches & paws

After work tonight, I stopped by Mom's house to await a special delivery: our latest professionally quilted projects. My quilt is the pattern "Lucky Stars" by Terry Atkinson, one of my favorite quilt designers.


Mom & I always hire a local quilter named Kristie for our work. I think she does a beautiful job. For this project, she helped me to use variegated thread, which means it changes shades or colors as it meanders through the quilt. It can be a lovely detail:


This pattern is for a fat quarter quilt, and I selected the cotton fabrics based on color rather than a specific theme, such as bees or Great Depression reproduction. It's a fun way to mix things up, which is why I have some fabrics that show the galaxy ...


a vineyard ...


... and flowers.


Mom got back three gorgeous quilts:


A Christmas quilt that will go on her bed. It has gorgeous holly berry quilting on it.


A quilt using a pattern she tested for friend and local pattern designer Deb Johnson, owner of In the Doghouse Designs. The pattern is called Garden Tiles, and Mom made hers using all scraps.


And, with this quilt, Mom finally has the blue & white quilt she's always wanted. Recognize the pattern? I used the same one for a quilt I made for my mother-in-law Janice for Christmas 2007.

While I was at Mom's, her cat Lucy insisted on playing with the quilts and also climbed inside the bag the quilts came in, which made for a rather adorable photo opportunity:



Truth is, cats just love quilts. When I got home and spread out my quilt to show Brian, Meow Meow was convinced I brought home a fort for her. Maybe we should rename her Patches!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

love the quilting on this. You'll have to tell me about when I get back from vacation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails