1.30.2010

Baby 101

Obviously, our little one will not come with an owner's manual when he or she joins our family in about three months. So Brian & I are doing the next best thing: Going to parenting classes to learn as much as we can to prepare ourselves for our little bundle of joy.

We actually started things off in the fall by attending Wesley Medical Center's Off to a Good Start class about how to have a healthy pregnancy. Recently, we also attended their Grandparent-to-be class with Brian's parents, who will become grandparents for the first time with the birth of our little one. The nurse who led the class talked mostly about how things have changed since our parents' generation had babies. It also was a reminder about some of the things Brian & I will need to be thinking of soon, including developing our birth plan, childproofing our home and figuring out how to prepare our pets for the new member of the family.

We're enrolled in several more classes in coming weeks, but the most useful class we've taken thus far was the CPR for Infants and Children class at Wesley. Brian & I were one of five young expecting couples who met for three hours with a nurse and certified CPR instructor, who taught us the proper way to administer CPR on infants, children and adults.

We used these Actar 911 mannequins. Each student had a little "baby" on which to practice CPR, including the chest compressions and breathing.


Brian must have sensed that the mere thought that I might need this skill on our baby was making my head spin. When the group broke for a mid-course break, Brian picked up our dummies and said in a robotic voice, "I am Space Baby." I was laughing so hard that this photo came out blurry. What a sweet hubby I have.

3 comments:

Jordan E. said...

LOL Those are the same CPR dummies we use at the hospital where I work, and since I work Peds, we use them quite often for our various simulations. They are creepy looking for sure! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you've taken the CPR course...unfortunately, I had to use some of what I learned on Colton when he was a baby - he choked on a teething biscuit and wasn't breathing. FYI - don't do teether biscuits, they're dangerous!!

Lori said...

Jordan, that's a funny coincidence. Next time you get them out, you should imitate Brian and say in a robotic voice, "I am space baby!" LOL.

MaryBeth, that's frightening, but it sounds like you were prepared and responded with a cool head. What a good mommy. (And thanks for the tip about teething biscuits! I will certainly steer clear.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails