1.10.2010

"Too Cool for Drool"

In the past week, I've transformed a pile of unwanted T-shirts into burp cloths for Baby B. using a pattern in the book "Generation T: Beyond Fashion: 120 New Ways to Transform a T-shirt" by Megan Nicolay. (You may remember that I blogged about using it to make various tops, a wine bag, scarf and other items with it last summer.)

It's been a fun and rewarding project for many reasons. For starters, it's cathartic, likely because it fulfills some of my current nesting tendencies. Unreal to imagine the greater purpose the homemade burp cloths will serve in four short months!

Made from 100 percent cotton T-shirts, the final items are super-soft, economical, environmentally friendly and cute. Each burp cloth has three layers of T-shirt material, partially to make them more absorbent.


They also hold special meaning for me. The seven I've made so far feature tees with interesting pasts, included ones:
  • from Planet Hollywood in San Antonio. My family went there for a week-long summer vacation the summer of 1997 before I moved to Lawrence to start my freshman year at KU.
  • a T-shirt from Brian's dad, who used to work at Cessna.
I'll likely soon be raiding T-shirt drawers (belonging both to Brian and me) to see if there are any other castoffs destined for glorious Mission Burp Cloth.


A cute aside: Lilly took a nap on some of the T-shirts while I worked nearby. I promise I didn't pose this adorable photo.

1 comment:

Jennifer Lacy said...

i LOVE that idea!! Kate was a reflux baby so a burp cloth was our biggest necessity!! of course, those would have been special ones! How super creative!

Related Posts with Thumbnails