1.30.2010

Recent reads

Brian, in part respecting my months-long priority of eating as much natural food as possible during my pregnancy, picked out the book "Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth and Baby Care" by Alan Greene, M.D. for me.

It's full of useful tips, some of them far too lofty and expensive for me to even consider. But there are many other simple, inexpensive things I've learned already from this book. One of my favorite tips related to decaf coffee, the only kind I'm drinking nowadays (and sparingly at that).

The authors encourage the reader to consider looking for a decaf that bears the "Swiss Water Process" logo, indicating that the coffee was decaffeinated using a certified organic chemical-free process. Starbucks and Sam's are among places that sell such varieties. Sold!

For the first time in months, I put aside all baby-related books and made time for my book club's flavor of the month. Unfortunately, when it came time for the group's gathering, I had a prior commitment and couldn't attend. (It was one of those weeknight evenings when I wanted to be in three places at once.)

"Big Stone Gap" by Adriana Trigiani was a quick, addictive, fun read. I enjoyed the themes of keeping the faith and being careful not to get in your own way of the happiness that's within your grasp. But pausing on the welcome mat of motherhood, I relished the maternal relationships in the novel.

"A baby gives you the strength to do just about anything."

Amen.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Thanks for all the fun updates! Regarding the baby/green stuff, that is an interest that we share, and if you ever want to talk about any of the things I wasted money on vs the things that we used all the time just call me!

Lori said...

Another shared interest! I would love to hear more about what you'd give a thumbs-up and thumbs-down.

Related Posts with Thumbnails