This adorable photo is actually not the first time Westley met Santa. That happened a week earlier when Brian and I decided to go out for an impromptu brunch at Egg Crate one Sunday morning after church. Santa was there to greet kiddos, and West met him with heavy eyelids while still bundled up in his car seat. Brian was being seated at our booth, so I told Santa that Mommy and Baby would be back momentarily for a photo. A nap beat me to the punch, and I deemed sugarplums dancing in my baby's head to be a more magical experience for him at the moment. Santa would have to wait.
Another opportunity wasn't far behind. We found Santa and his sleigh -- with a gorgeous winter wonderland background -- when we made our annual trek to Prairie Pines Christmas Tree Farm. (Click to see my post about last year's visit.) Santa held Westley, and the two silently gazed into each other's eyes. It seemed innocent and enchanting, like being swept into a Christmas snow globe. That memory will always stay like that for me. Honestly, I'm not sure West knew what to think of Father Christmas.
Under his snuggly bear outfit, he wore items perfect for the first complete St. Nick encounter:
After hot chocolate, apple cider and The Best Peanut Butter Balls Ever, we took our baby bear on a horse-drawn flatbed to the fields to find Clark IX, a 7-foot-tall Virginia pine. (Read more about how our Christmas tree tradition was born.) The local business supported our high school choir (and continues to do so), and Brian and I have been supporting them in return each of our nine Christmases as a married couple.
The chilly air and brisk wind sped up our usual thoughtful process choosing just the right tree. We often visit at least two fields to consider different types of trees, even. Just as we settled on this year's selection, Westley began to growl. "Grrr. GRRRR!" Funny! I decided he was actually telling me, "Brrrr!" So as soon as Brian cut down Westley's first Christmas tree, Pumpkin and I made a beeline to the truck to warm up with the heater. He seemed a little happier there:
Brian and I have always put our tree up right away and trimmed it within 24 hours. Life is a little different right now, though, so Clark stood in a bucket of water in the garage for more than 24 hours before assuming his position next to the fireplace in our family room. He was dressed in lights but had to wait more than a week for the ornaments.
Click to see more photos from the day.
2 comments:
Those are too precious. Looks like he had a great time. I'll have to check back and see how you did on the tree.
Wow! Pics below-I didn't know you could take such young ones to pro games????? I learned something.
Merry Christmas!
Soooooo adorable!
Post a Comment