Above is a photo of my beautiful mother Ann, who has been diagnosed with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Mom is among more than 35 million Americans who suffer from chronic lung diseases.
In May 2008, Mom suffered respiratory failure and was raced to the emergency room. She spent 26 days in the hospital, much of the time in critical condition. During the scariest days, she was in a coma and on a ventilator. She underwent a successful tracheotomy, recovered and was released. You can read more about her ordeal and recovery.
That was a frightening time. Prayer, Mom's strength and faith and the love of family and friends saw us through it.
Since then, Mom has welcomed a son-in-law and two new grandsons (including my precious little Westley) into the family. She is the glue that holds us together, the one who reminds us to keep the faith and to relish the beautiful moments that take our breath away.
In the past three years, Mom has attended physical therapy weekly to maintain her lung capacity and her strength.
I am running the Fight for Air Climb in her honor, to raise awareness and funds and to support the woman who has done so much for me in my life.
To train, I've climbed 836 floors so far this month at the YMCA and have avoided elevators on *most* occasions.
I am asking you, my family and friends, to help me meet my goal to raise money for the American Lung Association to prevent lung disease. Even better, please join me in the race that day!
Please also consider donating to Brian Buselt, my loving husband whose dedication to me and my family has led him to join me in the race.
During the race April 9 at Intrust Bank Arena, I will run a 5K that includes climbing 34 floors. I will remember the same advice Mom gave me in a handwritten letter she mailed to me when I was an overwhelmed journalism student at KU: "Take deep breaths!" It's a wonderful way to approach life, and something I want to help others have the chance to do.
Thank you,
Lori
No comments:
Post a Comment