I took Friday off to celebrate my birthday. We started our whirlwind day with a visit from our Parents as Teachers educator. We're involved with Maize School District's program. After the home visit, our second, Westley and I went to Maize High South, where the program is based, for a "cookie bookie" program. I didn't even know it was going on until our educator told us. But I figured that days off are designed for discoveries like this, so we stopped by on our way to daycare.
While Westley has been read aloud to on a daily basis since before he was born, this was his first public story time-in-a-circle type event.
We sat cross-legged on the floor with other mommys and little ones and sang a song about drumming, another about animals and then listened to a reading of Suess' "Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?" He loves that story. In fact, it was the single very board book we had in his diaper bag at that instant. Love that coincidence.
Westley was adorable! He sucked on his pacifier and intently watched the teacher and the kiddos around him. At one point, he leaned off my lap and did kind of a face-plant on the colorful rug and played with the pile. Ha!
I chatted with a couple other moms; Westley seemed to soak it all in. It's fair to say we were both learning and observing together, something we'll have in common throughout his entire education. I'm ready to help him each step of the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment