6.12.2008

Hooray for moving day

A bit past three this afternoon, Mom called me at work with a surprise request: "Come help me move!" She was released from the MICU and transported to a "regular" hospital room, where she has a roommate (boo) but her own phone (yay!).

When I arrived at Mom's MICU room, I packed up the many belongings she'd accumulated during her 22-day stay: cards, quilts, birthday gifts and helium balloons, physical and occupational therapy tools (resistance bands, etc.), stuffed teddy bears, books, the "overnight" bag I packed for her on the evening she was first admitted and more.

A cool cart that I called her "sled" showed up to load up her and her things. Two hospital employees helped escort her off the critical care floor. We waved goodbye to many nurses, respiratory therapists and other people we'd met in the past three weeks. Mom's nurse told me it's always a joy to watch people recover and leave with a happy parade. Amen to that.

Mom called my sisters and me awhile ago to say goodnight to each of us. She's unplugged now (not connected to any IVs) and walked 50 steps earlier today. Do I see a homecoming party on our weekend calendar? I pray so. She's already made a dinner request for her first night home: grilled hot dogs and Paula Deen Orange Brownies, a new dessert Mom discovered earlier this spring. We are way overdue, after all, for a Memorial Day cookout.

1 comment:

Marty said...

Absolutely the best news so far--it will be topped by a trip home--but for now, Absolutely the best.

Marty

Related Posts with Thumbnails