6.08.2008

Healing, comforting quilts

Today is Mom's 18th day in the MICU. On one of the first nights of her stay, I had hoped to get some sleep up at the hospital. So I brought my little down-filled camp pillow and this quilt that I finished earlier this spring. But that night, Mom got the chills, so the quilt went to her bed. And, unless she's overheated, that's pretty much where it's stayed for the last two weeks. I told her that, based on her recovery, it must be her lucky quilt and that she must keep it now. Quilters often name their projects, and I hadn't yet named mine, until now: I'm calling it "Spring Survivor." When a new nurse comes on shift and introduces him or herself to Mom, he or she almost always compliments the quilt on her bed. "What a gorgeous quilt! Who made it?" they'll ask. Mom points to me and smiles. Then I point back to her and reply, "She taught me everything I know about quilting." I'm so pleased that Mom and I have shared this hobby during the past seven years. It's giving us an excuse to shop, spend time together and even travel a bit. We're in the local quilt guild together, have seen a quilt-related play, gone on a quilt-themed home tour and more. During that time, she's taught me so much about quilting, life, herself and myself. How appropriate that quilts would be part of this experience, too, no matter how difficult it is. I've kept another quilt at the hospital for whomever may be visiting. Last night, for example, Mom had her new floral quilt on her bed while I wrapped up in my "Kite Strings" quilt. (I don't have a photo of that one. I'll post it later, though.)

I've mentioned in a previous post that I've been sewing the binding on a quilt while keeping Mom company in the hospital. The one I've been working on is the one pictured at left, which I had quilted professionally. Mom & I picked it up from our long-arm quilter earlier this year.







Last night, my mother-in-law Janice and I went to the Barnes & Noble in Bradley Fair, where Kansas authors of a new quilting book "Red, Green and Beyond" were having a book signing event. Featured quilts from the book, including the one at left, were on display. A couple of the women who made quilts featured in the book were there too, and asked about Mom. I passed around my copy of the book for them to sign and delivered it to Mom afterwards. She was so tickled. I'm looking forward to reading the book together with her. There are several stories about Kansas women in it that look fascinating.

The errand was another good escape for me. Quilting and shopping can be great to take your mind off things. The bookstore had displays of different quilting books, so I bought a couple of those, including a precious children's bedtime book that I gave to Mom. It'll come in handy in September when my sister Jen has her baby.

Mom is on her blow-by breathing exercise now and may stay on it for 12 hours or more today. She also continues to work on physical and occupational therapy, including doing arm exercises in bed and sitting on the edge of her bed to work on mobility, which will continue to be a challenge after spending so much time in bed. (Mom's O.T. team consists of two young female therapists that Mom & Dad have nicknamed the "torture twins." Funny stuff.) More steady progress. I think we'll be back to sewing together in no time!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails