11.12.2009

Baby blankets: A family tradition


Tuesday night at Prairie Quilt Guild, I got up during "Show & Share" (the portion of the monthly program in which quilters show off their work) and showed the crowd Mom's very first quilt (pictured above). I said that Mom made it for her precious firstborn (me, of course), and that the tradition would soon continue. I explained that in six months I plan to wrap my firstborn in one of the first quilts I ever made (also pictured above). It was a touching moment, and our quilting friends beamed and congratulated both of us.

Mom sewed her cotton quilt, which features gingham and bunny rabbits, for me when I was an infant. Dad worked construction and had accepted a temporary job in Denver. The three of us, Iowa residents at the time, lived in a Colorado hotel room for months, and I celebrated my first birthday while we were out there. Mom sewed this extra-thick quilt so I could have a comfy, cozy spot to snuggle.

Mom has taught me everything I know about quilting. Years ago, I sewed this flannel blue and yellow baby blanket with sheep on it. I actually made it for one of my favorite charities, Project Linus, which collects and provides donated blankets to children in need. But my mother-in-law convinced me to save it "for someone special someday." I think I have just the person in mind! (Don't worry: I whipped up a bunch of quilts to give the organization soon thereafter.)

A few things strike me about these quilts Mom & I made: Neither one of us used patterns. They're both hand-tied. And I think they actually look similar, with the yellow and blue squares in an Around-the-World-inspired design.

It was a fun, memorable evening. The guest speakers for the evening were Su & Dwayne Bunch, retired teachers who travel with their Piece Keepers quilt business. Su specializes in blended quilts. Here are some of her beautiful projects:





3 comments:

Linda said...

those are some gorgeous quilts!

o2lquilts said...

When I made Caitlin's baby quilt, I used a piece from my stash that was left from her daddy's baby quilt, which I still use with visiting babies. It's the same bunny print your mom used in yours!! Makes sense, since you're only months apart in age, but isn't that fun? (polyester = iron; that was before we knew about 100% cotton....) I like to use the "Bright Hopes" pattern for a baby quilt, for obvious reasons. I still have a teeny bit left, for the Wee One who will make Caitlin a big sister in June!

o2lquilts said...

P.S. - I got to show both quilts at Show N' Tell at my Omaha Quilt Guild meeting, too. Love that show n' tell.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails