skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Belle Plaine beautiful
Tonight was the second annual fall book club meeting at the Belle Plaine Arboretum, hosted by the lovely and gracious Robin. The weather was chilly and wonderful, and it was such a nice, relaxing evening with friends.



We had an outdoor fire, sunshine, a fun discussion of "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls, tons of tasty food, including chili dogs, deviled eggs, pumpkin bread and S'mores. There was a random "Sound of Music" sing along, too. Very entertaining. I also learned that my friend Denise is willing to pay $20 to watch a high school video of Brian and me singing "I Am 16 Going on 17" as Rolfe and Leisel. Maybe I should have a showing and make some money off this!
It seemed most people liked "Glass Castle," which is a fascinating memoir. The author writes about her childhood and her parents, who are dually brilliant and reckless when it comes to their children. You almost feel ashamed being entertained by their story. But I'd highly recommend the book. Walls is a very talented writer. On the other hand, another book I finished this morning, "Best Friends" by Martha Moody, is probably the worst book I've read all year. It's a novel with a bizarre story line that just droned on and on about 200 pages too long. I'm the kind of reader who likes to finish a book before I form my opinion of it completely. I'd say don't waste your time.
3 comments:
I just finished reading the Glass Castle and thought it was amazing! I was totally astonished at the parents and so impressed with the children. I picked it up on Saturday afternoon and I could not even be bothered to stop and eat until I was done with it. Now I have no groceries and no laundry done, but it was worth it to immerse completely in a good book!
This interview is terrific and tells you even more about her: http://gothamist.com/2005/05/27/jeannette_walls_author_the_glass_castle_gossip_columnist_msnbccom.php
This is the interview
That was really interesting, Jenn. Thanks for pointing it out to me! (By the way, I'm now reading your copy of "Must Love Dogs." It's much more simple and sweet ...) :O)
Post a Comment