10.04.2007

Fummer food


Fummer is to summer and fall what brunch is to breakfast and lunch. It's October, but the temperatures are climbing to the 80s. There's a high of 90 tomorrow! So, while my herb garden keeps producing mass quantities of basil and mint, I might as well combine those summer-grown ingredients with my favorite fall fruit, apples, and enjoy this fummer-tastic and mayo-free tasty chicken salad from Real Simple magazine.

It's a great way to put garden herbs to good use. The recipe calls for
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint and 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil. It's also quick to make, tasty and fairly healthy (269 calories and 8 grams of fat per serving). Brian and I had it for dinner Monday on a bed of spring greens. And I've enjoyed it in wheat pita bread for convenient take-to-work lunches since then. (If you decide to try it, you may want to consider substituting walnuts for the peanuts. We're going to try that next time.)

3 comments:

Chris said...

Is that a plastic Knork in your bowl? Fun fact: my nephew is married to one of the Knork guy's (Mike Miller) cousins. I have been known to get the friends and family discount. :-)

Jaime said...

Yummy!

Lori said...

You've got Knork hookups? Excellent! I got a set in my stocking last Christmas. I've since discovered that plastic Knorks are the best utensils for take-to-work lunches. They're convenient and fun. Something about that crazy red Knork just make lunches even better!

Related Posts with Thumbnails