Mom continues to be more alert and look more like herself. I visited her Monday evening, and, before a peaceful nap, she was making faces that communicated her pain, that she thought things we were saying were funny and that she was curious about what was going on around her. I also read her some of her many, many cards that she's received, and I could tell that did her good, too. (At left is just a portion of what her friends and family have mailed her.) She seemed especially surprised that some relatives have sent her as many as 15 cards (you crack me up, Eric & Marty!) and that she's hearing from extended relatives and friends at Prairie Quilt Guild.She became frustrated that her hands were too weak to do American Sign Language (Mom & I know the alphabet, which has come in handy in this occasion and others). She also was unable to write. But I talked with Dad briefly this morning, and he said that she was writing a little bit this morning and telling him that she doesn't like what they're feeding her through her feeding tube. That's our Mom! Another sign that she's on the mend. I told her that I hope a chicken fried steak dinner is not too far away. (My sisters & I tease Mom endlessly about her bizarre affection for chicken fried steak. If we go to a restaurant, Mom will study the menu for quite awhile. "What have you decided?" we'll ask. "Hmmm ... I think I'll go with the chicken fried steak," she'll reply. She really seemed to have no idea of this ordering routine until we pointed it out to her. Hee hee!) Need more proof that she's getting stronger? Mom watched the TV in her MICU room for a bit, too. She was pleased that she had control over the remote.
Mid-morning today Mom will try a new breathing test to help the doctors assess the strength of her lungs. She remains on the respirator but has been initiating breaths for most of the day. Her physical therapist, who first visited her on Sunday, also will come by to continue to teach us stretches we need to do hourly on Mom's legs and exercises that she can do on her own (lifting her arms, stretching her fingers, etc.) When I see her this afternoon, I'll make sure she's doing her homework!
7 comments:
Is this chicken fried steak thing genetic? Eric invariably orders chicken fried steak. I mean every single time and he does what your mom does--studies the menu at length and then if chicken fried steak is available, he orders chicken fried steak.
Marty
PS We sent so many cards because we really wanted her to understand that we love her, have not forgotten her, and that we mean business with this "get well business".
Hi, I'm new to your blog. I love your goldens. We have 2 of our own, they are our kids.
I hope your mom get well soon.
Lori, I just got back from vacation late last night and hadn't kept up on blogs while I was gone. I'm shocked and so sorry to hear about your mom! Please let me know if there's anything I can do and I will add her to my prayer list. Sounds like great progress has been made. Hang in there!
Just wanted you to know that we're praying for your mom. Jen doesn't update nearly enough, so I have jumped over to your page to keep current on the situation. I'm sure your mom will be back to sewing in no time!
I can't remember if I've commented on your site before or not, but in case you don't know who this is, it's Tacodave AKA Dustin's sis, Devon that was friends with Jennifer all through school.
We'll keep praying!!!
Hi Lori,
Mike and I are so grateful you are keeping this wonderful blog. We have been enjoying keeping up with your activities over the past year, but particularly appreciate the almost-daily updates about your Mom. She is truly precious and loved.....and we send prayers and best wishes for her continued recovery.
Thank you.....a bunch. Love, Ruthie and Mike
this is great news about your mom. thanks so much for keeping us updated. i know it's been so hard on you, your sisters and your dad, but you're a great blessing to your mom. her recovery is assured with such strong and loving family.
Thank you, everyone, for your continued prayers and support.
Marty: The chicken fried steak thing must be genetic after all. I always wondered about that. Must be kind of like Eric & Mike and their Doug cards, right? :O)
Chris: I hope you had a great vacation! I may need a quilting buddy sometime soon!
Post a Comment