Wha-huh? Unless you're a child of the '80s or a big Muppet fan, you may not know the song "I'm Gonna Always Love You" from the '84 movie "Muppets Take Manhattan." When my sisters & I were kids, we'd sing the song along with the movie with Mom. You can read more about the goofy song on Muppet Wikia, but it's about how Kermit and Miss Piggy knew each other as babies. It also inspired the adorable "Muppet Babies" TV series. Last week, when we were thinking of music to play for Mom while she was sedated, my sisters thought of this one. I brought it in to play for Mom. When she woke up this week, we played it for her again. It brought a big smile to her face. I wanted to share with you the music video of the silly song:
Dad was a little more romantic: He asked me to play John Denver's "Annie's Song" for Mom, whose first name is Ann and sometimes goes by Annie. The song was her bridal march 33 years ago, and I incorporated an instrumental version, played on the harp, in my wedding nearly seven years ago.
Funny or sweet, I do believe that music played at least a small role in Mom's dramatic recovery. I just returned home from the hospital, where Mom was showing some of the best vital numbers of her 13-day MICU stay. She also had a 30-minute breathing trial where she was breathing oxygen but was off the respirator. Woo-hoo! You can read more about her first trial today on my sister Jen's blog, The Happy Couple.
5 comments:
I am surrounded by music almost every waking moment of my life. It's been this way for as long as I remember. Listening to certain songs can take me back to moments I haven't thought of in years and they replay in my head with such vividness it's almost staggering. When I suffered my illness three years listening to music (songs of triumph and strength) was an incredible medicine for me. I believe in its power to heal. You're on the right track! Keep it up! (And "Annie's Song" is one of my all-time favorites, by the way. Your father is very lucky to have someone named Annie to sing it to!). I'm thinking good thoughts for your family daily! Thank you for keeping us posted. And please pass on our good will to your mother and father.
i loved that song! My Mom and I used to sing it too!
So glad your mom is making progress. I'll keep the prayers up anyway.
Wow, I'm so glad to hear your mom is doing so much better. We'll keep her and your family in our prayers.
It's so sweet that your dad wanted you to play Annie's Song. I am glad your mother is doing so much better. Continuing to keep her in my prayers.
Post a Comment