
My co-workers gave me some grief for bragging that I brought in more than $100 on the street corner before heading in to work, but, by golly, I ain't ashamed of it and neither is my momma! Today was my third year in a row participating in Taking It to the Streets, a fundraising campaign for United Way. The 6 a.m. start time was beginning to wear on me when a generous woman gave me a $50 bill for a 50 cent paper. I asked her if she wanted 100 papers. She politely declined. A few seconds later, a man gave me $10 for a paper. I was feeling lucky!
A few insights from my morning hawking newspapers:
A few insights from my morning hawking newspapers:
- Thank God I never had to work as a newsboy.
- About 80 percent of people do these things while driving to work in the 7 o'clock hour: smoke, drink coffee, eat fatty breakfast sandwiches, talk on cell phones.
- I'd never before seen someone drinking coffee out of a Pyrex measuring cup.
- Some people will avoid eye contact at all costs.
- For every impatient driver, there was a kind driver who smiled and waved.
- I'm glad my mornings don't always start at 6 a.m.
No comments:
Post a Comment