Last week, Brian and I returned to the cabin at Arkansas' Petit Jean State Park where we stayed in April '06. It has breathtaking views, air conditioning and more. A short walk to a lodge, small shop, pool and restaurant -- as well as miles of hiking trails -- it's a perfect blend of roughing it and relaxing. Let me take you on a tour of sorts:
It's difficult to see, but the cluster of cabins where we stay is on the top of this bluff. (We hiked to a lookout point across the ravine to get this photo. More on our hikes later.)

The cabin has a great back porch with a swing. It provided shade when it was sunny and shelter from soothing rainstorms, which came nearly every day.

It was where we enjoyed our morning cup of coffee and devoured our vacation reads. (I totally ate up -- make that drank up -- "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. My book club selected it for our September read. I loved it!) Brian also played his guitar for the enjoyment of our neighboring woodland creatures. Who knew that squirrels and raccoons don't really like John Denver after all?!


Other great reading spots:


The cabin offers two places to cook: a fully stocked kitchen and a grill we put to good use. You've never really had an omelet until you've cooked one on a grill. Throughout the week, we also prepared banana-walnut and blueberry pancakes, pulled pork slow-roasted in a dutch oven and grilled ribeye. Good thing we hiked between two and seven miles a day!



The views were spectacular, too, whether it was sunup or sundown.


Farewell, cabin 17! We'll see you again soon.

2 comments:
I'm so jealous. Dale and I really need to check out that place. I think you've found a real gem.
Brian, do you need a drummer for your band? If so, I'm in. Lori, you can be the lead vocalist.
Post a Comment