3.01.2008

Great girls (and a few guys)

The youth mission group spent the afternoon today at Maude Carpenter Children's Home hanging out with some of the girls who are living there. We iced and decorated sugar cookies, played Taboo, Scattergories and spoons and laughed. A lot. The young women there were very fun and talkative and said they had a good time with us (one girl told me it'll probably be the most fun thing they do this weekend). A few of our youth group's boys did the heavy work by painting one of the residential buildings.

One of the things I most appreciate about doing volunteer work with middle and high school students is watching them in action. Today, for example, you would've thought that the youth group members were already friends with the children's home residents (most they were meeting for the first time) the way they all giggled and chatted and spent time together. It's very inspiring and always reminds me to look at the bigger picture and count my blessings. Amazing what you can do with a few hours, some homemade cookies and a couple of board games.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Those cookies look delicious and very spring-y (like spring, not bouncy).

Lori said...

Trust me, Chris: They were indulgent. I've not had a real-homemade-butter-and-sugar sugar cookie since the holidays, and somehow they always taste better than I remember. (I was glad that I put in my mile swim earlier in the day, though!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails