"Lori, Here you go, my hardworking girl! ...
I hope by the time you get this, that things are going better with your computer. Your test should be over and you should be more relaxed. Take deep breaths! And you thought life was tough in high school. I never said that life was easy as you got older ... I couldn't tell you what to expect either. It might have scared you! Ha ha. Seriously ... life is just what happens when you have already made other plans. The trick is to get over each hurdle with as much grace as possible. If you trip, be more aware the next time.
You are doing so well! I'm so very proud of you and the way you are growing. Keep up the good work! Each phase of life seems difficult until you book back at what has already happened. That is growth. Like I said, you are doing well! Hang in there! It all works out ... one way or another.
You are always in my thoughts, prayers and of course, my heart!
Love you!
Mom"
During Mom's darkest days in the ICU, I rediscovered this letter in a collection of cards and letters I have kept throughout the years in a basket in my bedroom closet. It's now yellowed and torn. I must have unfolded it and read it dozens of times. Finding it, I cried and then took it up to the hospital to read back to her. I shared it with friends and family, and we marveled about how well her words of advice fit her situation, especially when she wrote, "Take deep breaths!"
Mom continues to get stronger. She surprised herself this evening with how easy things have become for her compared to where she was even a week ago. Tonight, for instance, she bent over and picked up her slipper-socks off the floor and put them back on. That wasn't feasible just a few days ago. She has three-pound ankle weights that she wears while doing squats, leg lifts, etc. Her voice is getting stronger, and she's been chatting up a storm. I love it. As a wise woman once told me, "It all works out ... one way or another."
5 comments:
Your mom is amazing. What a beautiful letter.
What a wonderful keepsake, Lori. Thanks for sharing it.
Mom's always have the right words to say, don't they? I have a lot of memories like that from my mom, and with her in a nursing home now, it's cherished memories like that they help me get through.
Amazing. Thanks for sharing, and I'll keep praying for your mom's speedy recovery.
By the way, love the new banner!! :)
Hi Lori, That letter proves that your Mom is just as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. You three girls have been priceless treasures in her life and it shows!
Post a Comment