This has been a crazy weekend, with Brian's cousin Meagan's wedding shower on Saturday (the wedding is tonight), my brother-in-law Eric staying with us this weekend and me seeing "Twilight" Saturday night. (The movie was fun, the brooding vampire was alluring, but, of course, the film didn't even come close to the book. The special effects were less than impressive, and I imagined many things differently, including what the character Charlie looked like. It was Jen's first girls night out since before Kaden was born, and she & I had fun with Chris.)
One of the highlights of the weekend was at the shower, when I presented Meagan and her (and Brian's) Grandma with a special gift.
Six years ago, I made Grandma, Brian's family's matriarch, a special family tree quilt for Christmas. Using a quilt block-a-day calendar, I sewed a quilt block representing the birthday of each person in Grandma's immediate family. (That includes her late husband, two children and their spouses, their combined five children and me, the only in-law at the time.) To make the pattern work, Grandma's four single grandchildren have solid blocks next to their birthday blocks.
Stephen is the first in-law to join the immediate family since I made the quilt. So in honor of the wedding, I made a block that represents his birthday, May 1. The block is a May Day basket. This wasn't an idea I had planned for when I designed Grandma's quilt, so I was thrilled this week when I found that I still had some fabric left over from the project that I was able to incorporate in Stephen's block. (I actually used the white-on-blue floral in Meagan's block, so it's especially fitting.)
I borrowed Grandma's quilt so I can soon stitch it in place next to Meagan's:

One of the highlights of the weekend was at the shower, when I presented Meagan and her (and Brian's) Grandma with a special gift.
I borrowed Grandma's quilt so I can soon stitch it in place next to Meagan's:
1 comment:
Denise and I just saw Twilight. I really liked it. I do agree that the special effects weren't top notch, but I really loved it! I'm motivated to reread the book(s).
Post a Comment