11.27.2008

Turkey time

Brian & I joined his parents and brother Eric in making the trek to Leavenworth today for Thanksgiving with my father-in-law's side of the family. As per our tradition, Brian & I spend every other Thanksgiving with his parents. (We were at my parents' house last year.)

Brian's Aunt Nancy is a creative cook (I love her stuffing, which features rice, pecans and apples) and master hostess, and any foodie would've been jealous of the spread, to which my mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law also contributed:



Adding to the wonderful aromas were all the traditional sounds of Turkey Day: sports on TV, children laughing, women talking about great buys advertised in the thick Thanksgiving edition of the local newspaper, the oven timer dinging, guests shuffling in and out. Each sound added a layer to the festive day.

The crew included the family's matriarch, Clara; Brian's cousin Jenny and a few little turkeys. Brian's cousins' young children -- Audrey, Caroline and Drew -- kept us entertained after dinner with an ad hoc piano recital and a magic show (see a special card trick below).






















No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails