1.07.2011

Carriage Crossing cuisine


Brian, Westley and I joined my parents for a dinner tonight at Carriage Crossing restaurant in Yoder, a charming nearby Amish community. The restaurant is legendary, specifically for its pies. We dined on catfish, pork chops, chicken fried steak and country fried chicken. My side dishes, corn and fried sweet potato wedges, were excellent. (Westley had pureed pumpkin and milk.)

Westley and Papa

Leaving Carriage Crossing without dessert should be against state law, so we all ordered pie and shared bites. Among us, we had apple, peach, cherry cream cheese and chocolate peanut butter. Brian and I also ordered two giant cinnamon rolls, which I'm looking forward to for breakfast tomorrow.

Mom trying to decide which pie to order. We ordered dessert early to beat a neighboring party of 22, hoping to save our dessert of choice. Unfortunately, they were out of pecan pie (her first choice) and peach pecan (her second choice). She settled on peach, which they served with a side of chopped pecans. Bonus points for our waiter!

As we were leaving the restaurant, two horse-drawn carriages passed us in the dark. I could hear the horses' hooves clip-clopping down the street and barely see the carriages' reflectors gleaming off the street lights. Seemed a perfect end to a must-have Kansas experience.

On Shutterbug Rebels: My cuties at Carriage Crossing, and how Westley got the attention of an older baby girl across the aisle.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails