1.15.2011

Faith

Friday was a difficult day. I learned about the death of a dear family friend who was a neighbor to my parents for years and years, like an older sister to Mom and an aunt to my sisters and me. Faith hosted one of my wedding showers a decade ago. She loved quilting and Christmas and even decorated her living room in Santas. The shower she threw for me had a Christmas theme, and she invited guests to give me a small Christmas decoration in addition to the usual shower gift. She therefore made her mark on the first Christmas Brian and I celebrated together.

I feel blessed that she was able to meet Westley a few months ago when we ran into her at a local bakery. Mom, Brian and I had stopped one afternoon on a whim to purchase some gorgeous sugar cookies. It was a fun chance encounter.

Brian and I wanted to keep Mom company last night, but we already had made dinner plans with his parents and brother, visiting from Lawrence. So we all met up for dinner together.

I often find peace when I see patterns emerging in happenstance situations. It makes me feel as if things are just as they should be and that there is order in the chaos and confusion of life. Such was the case in this uncanny "We didn't plan this" moment involving Mom and my mother-in-law Janice. Check out the outfits they wore to dinner last night:

They say married people often start to look alike. What does it mean, though, when that applies to the in-laws, too?!

We hugged, shared stories and toasted both Faith and faith.

And I knew that my life is richer and more blessed for experiencing them both.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails