9.25.2008

Tony book club

After an exciting day at work with a Wichita State University commercial filmed in the newsroom (I got to see the WuShock mascot without his head on!!) and cake for a co-worker celebrating her birthday and a new role at the paper, we had quite the tony little book club gathering at Chris' cute home tonight to discuss "My Antonia." I was pleased that many seemed to adore the book as much as I did. I was taken with the voice, tone and romantic notions in the novel. I did find it interesting that Cather wrote from the point of view of a man, the character Jim Burden, who I believe always loved Antonia, whom he sometimes called "Tony." Among my favorite excerpts:

"We reached the edge of the field, where our ways parted. I took her hands and held them against my breast, feeling once more how strong and warm and good they were, those brown hands, and remembering how many kind things they had done for me. I held them now a long while, over my heart. About us it was growing darker and darker, and I had to look hard to see her face, which I meant always to carry with me; the closest, realest face, under all the shadows of women's faces, at the very bottom of my memory."

Our read coincided with the Big Read, in which all Wichita-area residents are encouraged to read Willa Cather's novel. I'm excited about some of the special events going on around Wichita to celebrate the book.











From left in these photos: Cory, Deb,
Lori, Peggy, Tara and Denise.

Our group wasn't much inspired when thinking of books to nominate for our October read. We were tempted to think of a scary or suspenseful book, with our next meeting being near October. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Jaime said...

I have some potentially upsetting news for you. The mascot you saw without his head is not the real mascot. He is a stand-in from WSU's marketing department. The real mascot is very serious about not revealing his true identity and would never be caught dead without his head.

Lori said...

What, ahem, a Shocker ...

Mom said...

How about "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Cristie Sort of a "survivor" theme...10 people on a deserted island...Who will live?

Related Posts with Thumbnails