8.13.2007

Camp champs

This weekend, Brian and I went on an overnight camping trip with our good friends Tony and Nicole. Between 11:30 a.m. Saturday and 5 p.m. Sunday, we canoed about 18 miles along the Illinois River near Tahlequah, Okla. Here's a photo of our campsite Sunday morning before the temperature climbed to 104 degrees. We barely noticed the heat, though, because we had a cooler full of frosty drinks and a river with surprisingly cool water. We also were quite chilly while we slept, when the temperatures dipped as low as 66 degrees. I actually wished I would have brought a sweatshirt! A few highlights from the trip:
  • 248: miles from Wichita to Tahlequah
  • 50: the SPF of the sunscreen I wore all weekend
  • 10: meals we got out of a pulled pork Brian slow-cooked in a dutch oven over a campfire
  • 6: shooting stars I spotted
  • 5: raccoons that approached our campsite early Saturday morning
  • 4: gallons of lemonade Gatorade we drank
  • 3: stags we saw crossing the river
  • 2: underwater disposable cameras we toted along to document our adventure (I plan to get those images digitally and post a few here later this week.)
  • 1: pair of sunglasses we lost during our trip (We also may have lost one of the underwater cameras, but we're still looking for it.)
  • 0: times our canoes capsized (Hip, hip, hooray!)

4 comments:

Lori said...

This photo is great. I'm blown away that you would consider canoeing and camping in this awful heat, cool mornings notwithstanding. Enjoy it while you're young!

Lori said...

It was so much fun. But I've been loving the air conditioning today!

Mom said...

The picture looks like it could be used in a camping brochure. Very nice!

Lori said...

Why, thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails