After brunch at Bella Luna today, Nicole and I went to see "Nanny Diaries", which opened in theaters Friday.Years ago, my book club read this book, and I got a kick out of the writing and the story. I laughed out loud so often while I was reading it that Brian asked what was so funny. So I read it out loud to him, a chapter at a time, while we cooked or relaxed in the evening. He laughed just as much as I did. And, yes, I gave him endless grief that he was enjoying a chick lit novel as much as I was.
As I often do when I love a book, I passed it around to whomever would read it. I love owning a copy of a book that several of my friends and family members have read. It comes to mean so much more to me. Many of the books on my bookshelf are like that.
As far as the movie goes, parts were a little too cheesy. But I'm glad they did leave in the painful Nantucket scene, which is essential to the story. Poor little Grayer. It was a good guilty pleasure matinee movie.
7 comments:
Did you read their next book, Citizen Girl? It was pretty good too, but not the magic that was Nanny Diaries. If you haven't read it yet I will send my copy your way!
I did read "Citizen Girl" and liked the anonymity the authors used again with the characters, but I was somewhat disappointed that the story was slower and not as funny. Still, it was a good read. (I read a chapter at a time on the exercise bike at the Y.)
I need a new breezy good book to read. Any suggestions, Jenn? (Thanks so much, by the way, for your offer to borrow your copy! You rock.)
Oooh I LOVE talking books and I love chick lit! You probably already read all these a long time ago, I get them on clearance so I can read them in the tub with no guilt!
Have you read Plum Skye's "Bergdorf Blondes"? So fun and cute! Or Emily Giffin's "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue"? I adored those and they have to be read in that order which is very fun. I also just finished "Babyproof" by Emily Giffin and it was OK but not outstanding like the Something... books. And I also just read "Everyone worth knowing" which was pretty good!
Any of those sound good? I can send them over, but they have all been in the bath so they are a little wrinkled!
Is it as good as The Prizewinner? If so, let me put my name on the borrowers list.
Jenn, I've not read "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue" and would love to borrow your copies!
Argh! I loaned them to my neighbor and she can't find them! I asked her last night. And I sent Bergdorf Blondes to the beach with my cousin this summer! So THREE of the books I offered are missing! How is that for a bait and switch? I suck!
I just ordered new (used) copies of them from Amazon, they were worth replacing! So in a couple of weeks you can totally borrow them!
In the meantime I brought you some other books to pass the time, I will send them home with your sister tonight!
Do you ever read travel books? I am assuming you do, because you guys travel so much. But just in case you haven't read it, I am sending you Bill Bryson's "A sunburned country" which is my very favorite. If you like that genre I can send many funny travel books your way too!
(Sorry to be such a pusher, I know I get overly excited about books!)
Thanks, Jenn! I can't wait to delve in!
Post a Comment